The project consisted of the design and construction of a new 2.0 MGD (expandable to 3.0 MGD) water treatment plant along the Tug Fork River in Naugatuck, WV.
The design of the plant included:
• Raw Water Intake Screens and Pump Station – Tug Fork (with potassium permanganate feed)
• Static Mixer/Chemical Feed Room – Delpac 2020, PAC to second stage of flocculator, polymer, soda ash (pH adjustment if necessary)
• Enhanced Coagulation/Flocculation – three stage flocculation with axial flow propeller mixers and variable frequency drives
• Sedimentation – Four hour retention time, chain and flight sludge collectors, and sludge screw conveyors
• Filtration – Four Roberts™ dual media filters, air/water simultaneous backwash, dynamic probes for evaluation of bed expansion to reduce mudball formation
• SCADA System – WTP – all operating equipment monitoring and alarms, sixteen (16) water storage tanks and fourteen (14) booster stations, (flow, suction/discharge pressures, and alarms)
This project was awarded a WV ACEC Silver Award for Engineering Excellence.